Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Long time no see.....


....wow, it really has been quite a while since I updated. So much has been going on since I last posted here. I'll spare you the details, but for the most part it's been amazing. Work and school has been fun and fulfilling, enjoying time with the loved ones.

I'm finally a DJ trainee at KTUH 90.3 FM Honolulu! Yes! I passed my Policies and Procedures test this morning and begin my probationary period. For those of you who don't know, KTUH is the University of Hawai'i's student-run radio station. It's one of the last few in the United States. 24 hour live DJs playing different genres unlike typical commercial radio. It's like NPR's cooler cousin. Well, except lately NPR has been churning out some atypical NPR stuff like Wu Tang, Raphael Saadiq, K'naan, Jay Z on their Tiny Desk concert series or on All Things Considered. So awesome! Anyway, back to KTUH. I'm planning on playing mostly jazz and jazz-influenced tracks including (but not limited to) jump blues, big band, bop, cool, crooner, lounge, exotica, vintage Jamaican, funk, soul, jazz hip-hop, downtempo. But no smooth jazz. No soprano saxophones, k thanks!

With that being said, I'm going to start posting my playlists from my training sessions (probationary period) to get into the habit. That way when I have my actual time slot and show, I'll have a good idea of what I want to post and how.

Allrighty, here's my playlist! I included links to the Youtube page, except for the last one cos there isn't a video for it.

This track is the opener on Strange Breaks and Mr. Thing Volume II. It's a mix by Mr. Thing formerly from Scratch Perverts, a collective group of turntablists from London. The mix also has Alan Tew Orchestra's version of the Pink Panther Theme as well as "ABC" by Hot Butter and Soul. I don't know much abour Frank Pleyer except he's German. Looked online to see if there's anything else but this track is also on Dusty Groove's Dusty Fingers Volume 12.
5) Will Do-- TV on the Radio (new single for the album "Nine types of
Light" on Interscope records, dropping on April 12)
6) Coco & Co--Serge Gainsburg
7) I'm All Right--Madeleine Peyroux
8) Back on the Track-- Jimmy McGriff
9) Onsen Monogatari--Little Tempo


Ahhhhh, I'm still getting used to the technical stuff but it's a lot of fun being on the air. I will have a longer play list next time. We had our training session so I didn't get to play as much as I would've liked, but there will be more opportunities for that! I'm very excited and happy. If you happen to be an insomniac in Hawai'i or listening elsewhere in the world via online at ktuh.org, I'd love for you to tune in. As of now I will be on the air 3:00am-6:00 am HST on Wednesdays. Papa Hirsch (playing mostly funk and soul) will also be on the air during that time slot. We're going to split it and probably each do hour and a half sets, and I will most likely go first. Either way, you should tune in for the whole thing because we'll offer a fun mix for you folks.

Oh, so my DJ name will be Michelle LaBelle. My full name's Michelle and I'm named after the Beatles song! Years ago I thought of using Mish Money-Penny but it's a bit too cute. I'm a lady now, I'm all growns up. Sort of. Hahaha!

Anyway, going to head out now for some food snobbery. Hope you enjoy the playlist and tune in to the only station that loves you.











No comments:

Post a Comment