
(Photo by Kaveh Kardan)
Hey, hey, hey. I decided to create a little space in this here interwebz to talk about...whatever. I'm not here to change lives or inspire you to become a better person, I'm just here. You do whatever the heck you want, and I'll do the same. I'm not going to get deeply personal here cos I'd rather keep things at arms' length. ;) It's easier that way, trust me.
Sooo... a little bit about myself. I'm Mish. I'm from Hawai'i. I recently finished Cosmetology school and I'm looking for a job. Aren't we all? Anyway, I occasionally perform in a burlesque troupe called the Cherry Blossom Cabaret. Sometimes I act, model, and write. I've been freelancing as a makeup artist and hairstylist for about a year. I'm kinda crafty. I have a keiki who I share time with the father and his significant other. I like good, healthy food. I consider myself pescatarian but I eat a lot of vegetarian and vegan food, and have vegan tendencies when it comes to shopping. Hmmm, what else? Oh, I enjoy all sorts of films. I don't have a TV. I don't read as much as I used to. I'm trying to get out and enjoy nature as much as possible, cos I didn't really get to do much while I was in school. I like to get my dance on. I like to sing karaoke. I love costume parties. I don't drink alcohol, smoke, or do drugs. Good clean fun! I support the arts district in Chinatown. I listen to all sorts of music from classical to jazz to punk to ska to indie to hip-hop to country. I enjoy naps.
In this blog I will be rambling about bits and pieces of my life in Hawai'i, cos I love it here. I want to do a bit more traveling but for now, Hawai'i is my home base and I'll make the most of it. I'll be sharing just enough about me so that won't creep me out if you see me on the street and say, 'Hey, I read that in your blog'.
My friends and I get together every once in a while for dinner parties. Last month, we decided to have a "We Love Cheyne" dinner party cos we love him! Hee hee. Steph, Ryan, and later Kaz were part of the little group that invaded Cheyne's place. I made a version of Rice Paper Veggie wraps as a appetizer a couple of weeks ago. Of course, it wasn't really a PARTY; just a few of us crammed in a teeny apartment in Honolulu, taking turns with the kitchen. I went first since I had the app. Steph & Ryan went to the grocery store to pick up ingredients for the other stuff. Ryan made Upside-down Eggplant Parmesan. Delish. Steph made Red Velvet Cupcakes and Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cupcakes. Hopefully she'll blog about the recipes. I got the Rice Paper Veggie Wrap recipe from "How it All Vegan!" by Sarah Kramer & Tanya Barnard. I substituted a few things to make it extra tasty, as seen with the asterisk and in red. From Sparkpeople.com.
![]() | |||||||||
| |||||||||
| | |||||||||

Light, refreshing, and easy to make. Excellent for picnics or hot summer days when cooking seems impossible.
4-6 mushrooms, chopped1/2 cup Braggs or soy sauce
1 large carrot, grated
4 radishes, grated * I omitted the radishes.
1 1/2 cups cabbage, grated * I used Japanese Red Cabbage instead.
2 stalks green onions, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped * I used Organic Salsa (Enrico's Mild). Just a dollop in each wrap.
1 cup sunflower sprouts
1/2 cup hummus * I used Tribe 40 Spices Hummus.
6 sheets of rice paper

1. In a small bowl, marinate the mushrooms in the Braggs (soy sauce) for 10-15 minutes. While marinating, prepare the remaining vegetables and set aside.
2. Fill a large bowl with lukewarm water and soak 1 sheet of rice paper until paper becomes soft and pliable. I used a skillet and refilled the water every now and then. Shake carefully or pat off excess water. Lay the sheet down on a plate or cutting board and fill the center with a little bit of each vegetable, including the mushrooms, and about 2 tablespoons of hummus. Wrap up like a burrito and lay seam-side down on plate. Repeat process. Use the remaining marinade as dip.
Makes 6 wraps.
Afterwards, we took pictures in Cheyne's studio. He has a room set aside just for his photography, as well as wardrobe and accessories.

Front row L-R: Cheyne, Steph, me. Back row: Ryan & Kaz. We're a good-looking bunch, we know. ;) In case you can't read that, it says firebirdphoto.com. That's Cheyne's photography company. I do hair & makeup for him often. We don't exclusively work with each other; but we spoil each other a lot.
Anyhoo, I think I will wrap it up for now. I'll be posting more stuff (restaurant raves, makeup/hair tips, and whatever else I feel like) soon. Thanks for stopping by.
xoxo,
Mish

No comments:
Post a Comment